Saturday, April 12, 2008

M.I.A Concert

So last night I attended an M.I.A concert hosted by my college (and free to its students! Yay!) For those who aren't familiar with M.I.A, she's a Sri Lankan rap/hip hop artist whose songs often convey political messages and awareness/activism goodness. They also happen to be super catchy. My favorite songs of hers are "Galang" and "Sunshowers," though her song "Paper Planes" is currently roaming the charts.

Anyway, the concert was great. Tons of girls, and many guys too (I attend an all woman's college, remember?) I escaped the ridiculously crowded lower standing area only for M.I.A to crowdsurf in the EXACT spot where I was standing later on, grrr. I danced my butt off! M.I.A was pretty drunk, and is a terrible dancer, but oh my gosh she is HOT (why yes, I am straight.) At one point she took a "DO ME" sign out of the audience and put it in her pants. Sexy. Hehe. She also had two really cool female rappers/dancers with her.
My only complaint is that the sound effects dude went CRAZY with the "gunshot" button on his laptop. Every five seconds there was a gunshot noise, it was insane. I get it though. M.I.A's father is one of the leaders of the Tamil Tigers, the rebel insurgents currently fighting the government in Sri Lanka (for those who don't know, it's all based over Ethnic/language differences - the Tamils want their own province, and the ethnic majority and the government don't want to give it to them.) Overall though it was a great concert, and kudos to the college for picking someone political, rather than Fall Out Boy who came last year (lame).

4 comments:

Tizzalicious said...

That sounds like so much fun! I wish colleges here did that!

Anandi said...

Arghhh, I'm so jealous. I missed her when she came through Seattle. As a fellow brown gal who also has a Tamil background (though not from Sri Lanka) I give her props ;) And her beats are crazy.

Bianca said...

cool! I totally forgot about them after they werent the featured person on mtv. shes so pretty!

Earmark Social said...

that is one awesome photo! great blog too :)